12X THOUGHTS ON WEARING BLACK
Wearing black feels natural to me. It’s the colour I feel most comfortable in and even though I know there’s a lot of colours that actually do look good on me and my hair/skin tone as well, I’m not trying to change my habit of wearing black. I add the occasional grey/white/camel/navy, but that’s about it. Nevertheless, it occurred to me that a lot of people had as a new year’s resolution to start wearing more colour. Brave, but I”m not one of them. After I found some funny articles about women who wear this non-colour all the time, I thought it would be fun to sum up some – admittedly, sometimes quite dramatised – thoughts about wearing black, so here we go:
1. Black is my armour. It adds a note of seriousness to my presence, it’s shows modesty, it’s shows I don’t necessarily need to be the center of attention and I like it that way.
2. All my favourite women wear black. Lots of black. Men too, by the way.
3. My bible is narrated by no one else than Massimo Vignell: “To begin with, black has class. It’s the best colour. This is no other colour that is better than black. There are many other colours that are appropriate and happy but those colours belong on flowers. Black is a color that is man-made. It is really a projection of the brain. It is a mind colour. It is intangible. It is practical. It works 24 hours a day. In the morning or the afternoon, you can dress in tweed, but in the evening, you look like a professor who has escaped from a college. Everything else has connotations that are different, but black is good for everything. My house is covered in black”. Amen.
4. I’ll never get tired of black. It looks elegant and simple and modern even though it can be made up of so many different fabrics and styles. I’m always finding new ways to wear black.
5. People don’t realise how much you can get away with when you’re wearing black. You still have pieces from 10 years ago because they still work layered with newer pieces. Experimental style can look crazy when it’s colourful, but with black you can take risks and pull it off easily.
6. Your white kicks look even more white (see pics in this very post.. Yay!).
7. I’m pleased very easily: give me black heavy knits and black skinny jeans, or give me nothing at all.
8. I can’t imagine wearing one of those gauche blindingly white wedding dresses, ever.
9. Another mantra, this time by Yohji Yamamoto, I assume you’ve see this one before: “Black is modest and arrogant at the same time. Black is lazy and easy – but mysterious. But above all black says this: “I don’t bother you – don’t bother me”
10. I take pride in how efficient my wardrobe is. I don’t have to spend wasted time looking for things to match the item you really want to wear, I can throw things together in endless combinations and use my time much smarter than the average person. Plus, laundry is super easy. Only downside: even a lot of black clothes are still too much clothes..
11. I can afford to always be open to whatever adventure is going to present itself that day. You would never have to run home and change if someone invited you to a fun-sounding event at the last minute. Black is appropriate for every event at any time of day. It’s hard to look under (or over) dressed in black.
12. I cannot wait to be a flawless older lady rocking all black. Joan Didion and Jessica Lange are my heroes.